Saturday, January 7, 2012
The present doesn't define your future.
241.2 After another ego blow at the office, one of my underlings came strolling in for a new year catch up. She started rambling about this project and that person, and then she brought up the ego blow which had been made public via email. Thanks higher ups! I made a couple of snarky comments about the subject. Professional of me? Well, not so much. But if I wouldn't have released the bitter, I would have binged. I can't afford a 3000 calorie slip up. Three minutes into my rant, I closed my mouth. Just like excessive eating, I have to put a limit on my snarky comments. I cannot exchange one bad habit for another bad habit. Besides, who really wants to hear some else complain about how unfair life is. Spoiler alter - life is not fair. It just isn't. If you quit expecting a fair life, then the journey will probably be more enjoyable. Back to the underling. After I quit telling the ""poor me story", the underling started talking about the writing one of her law school essays regarding the best advice that she had received. She told me that the best advice was being reminded that "your present doesn't define your future." Then she told me, that I should follow my own advice. Ah ha! And so the student becomes the teacher. So many times I feel stuck. I feel stuck at my job. I feel stuck at my weight. I feel stuck in my singledom. I am stuck if I quit trying. I am stuck if I become complacent. If I keep spinning my wheels but add a little rocking motion - right to left, front to back, I am bound to to move and eventually move forward. I just have to remember that my present doesn't define my future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment