Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 3: Escape From Alacatraz

After a typical day in the land of the law, I hopped on United to cruise from NYC to San Fran with one of my favorite people and exercise guru, Dan, Dan the Tri Man.  Do you remember the Gatorade song, I Wanna Be Like Mike?  I wanna be like Daniel. Well, I want to be a chick version of Daniel, with hips and a nice rack.  Daniel puts in a 65-hour work week, trains for major endurance events, travels, is kind to strays, and bakes treats that would make Paula Deen giggle.  Y'all, Daniel excels at leading a balanced life!

Yay, Daniel!  Now back to the prison break.  We are heading to the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.  We both got in.  We both paid the entrance fee. Only one of us trained.  Hmmm.  No need for a spoiler alert.  Like several other great ideas that I have had in the past, the light bulb goes off and then I manage to fray the power cord in a few days.  Should I be shocked when the light bulb doesn't start to twinkle? I've learned this lesson a few times over the years.  This time is different.  I am changing my behavior to change future outcomes. This time instead of hiding away in my apartment feeling horrible about my lack of commitment and watching chick flicks while downing a large pizza, I boarded the plane to continue the journey.  I'm not doing the tri, but I am going to run some of the San Fran hills.  Stacie, one of my supportive sisters, and Daniel both suggested that I take on a party of the challenge. I can do a hill run each day.  Change is essential to the 40-day plan. 

This time I failed, but I didn't tri. Wah. Wah.  You know the saying "Your eyes were bigger than your stomach," well, for the last time my inner athlete was stronger than the actual athlete.  On Sunday, I am going to cheer on Daniel and Jen as they brave the Bay, bike the hills, and run the sand.  Although I'm only watching this triathlon, I have registered for another less intimidating race this fall with Daniel in  Delaware.  The Dewey Beach race will be different because I have already started training.

Oh, back up, let's get the WTF moment out of the way:  Got up.  Waddled to scale.  Numbers that flashed:

222.6 

It's a drop. I have been doing a great job logging each morsel that I place into my snout and each glass of water that I drink. Small consistent changes will eventually have a major impact.  As for exercise, I got in a TurboKick workout this am and lugged my suitcase 18 blocks - 18 NYC blocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment